Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Leadership Development Part 2

Well our coaching system at FBC is a great thing. As mentioned in a previous blog we use a 1:5 developmental model. This has many benefits for our context and is very effective for our leaders. But how do we nurture the skill set and leadership potential for the coach himself/herself?

1. We have a monthly coaches meeting where in the past I utilized Nelson Searcy's Focus, Form, Fill, Facilitate model, but I soon realized that it wasn't a good fit for FBC. So at this meeting we spend some time working through process issues needing to be addressed. In addition to process issue I also make sure that I spend ample time equipping. However at the moment I'm rethinking how best to equip these coaches as our meetings are usually an hour and there's simply not enough time to cover everything. So, I'm looking at retooling this time to focus more intensely at a quick-hit type training time...you know...how to do the little things as a coach. I think by using this format I will be able to put off the bigger issues of coaching to either mini-retreats or overnight retreats...time will tell.

2. We do a couple of mini-retreats per year. For example our next mini-retreat will be later this month and focus on the importance of group values and how coaches can extend their influence into the lives of those they lead. These mini-retreats serve a great purpose-they're a fun time together, they're laser-focused, and because they are so infrequent, coaches approach them more seriously... a ready to work mentality.

3. 1-on-1 meeting with me. Since much of a coaches job is relational, I seek to model that type of leadership to my coaches. A main way I accomplish this besides phone calls, emails, and personal notes is to buy them coffee, lunch, or dinner and spend the entire time talking about non-group stuff..rather we talk about how they are doing in their walk with God, their job, their kids, their hobbies and interests, what they are passionate about, their goals, ways I can help them be successful in their discipleship endevours etc. I find this time extremely uplifting for them and for me!

4. An occasional overnight retreat. When we have a lot of big decisions in front of us I find it necessary to take the team and get away to seek the Lord's counsel as a team. I say it's infrequent because I try to cover all expenses :) However, as we grow larger they will have to begin to help offset the expense.

Well there you have it...a look behind the curtain at how leadership development is done in the life group ministry at FBC Burleson.

What do you think?

Until next time,
JR

No comments:

Post a Comment