Monday, August 16, 2010

Looking Back and Praising God

A while back I discipled a man that recently accepted Christ as Forgiver and Leader. This man was eager to learn and quick to listen. We met every Tuesday @ 5 pm for almost 2 years and it amazes me that every Tuesday he was able to maintain the same enthusiasm for learning about the things of God as when we began our journey.


In case you're wondering...this man was in my life group and when I found out that he was a new Christian I immediately offered my services to him. My heart for this type of ministry is rooted in the biblical teaching of the dangers "baby Christians" live with every day. For, Scripture refers to Satan, (the already defeated foe .... Satan and Man were both created! Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine.) as a roaring lion ready to devour. Also, if you carry our the metaphor of "baby" then you have a person like the guy I met with every Tuesday needing nourishment, needing to be loved on, needing instruction against things that will hurt them, like false doctrines etc. This man grew up fast!
During our time together, we covered the doctrine of God, Holy Spirit, Jesus, Union with Christ, Atonement, Satan, Angels, Original Sin, and Predestination. It's was a fun road and God taught me something every week....at times it feel like I was so inadequate despite the training I've received. But God is faithful as always and never fails.
Discipleship is a hard road to travel sometimes and it takes a lot of guts, hunger, persistence, and patience. I look back on my time "doing life" with this guy with fondness, and I praise God to know that he is now growing closer to God one step at a time on a consistent basis. What an awesome God we serve!
I want to pass along this song to you, it's a song that has a special meaning in my life lately... It's by Jared Anderson (formerly of Desperation Band). By the way, if you've never checked out Desperation Band...then in my opinion, you're missing out on the guys who'll be leading worship when we get to heaven! They're that good!!

Unfailing God by Jared Anderson from New Life Worship: Counting on God
Though my eyes may fail me
I will follow after you
Though your promise seems forsaken
I'll remember the words in Your hands
Then you'll find me singing


You are unfailing God
Your love's unending
And Your Word is eternal
Firm in the Heavens it stands


Oh sorrow's my condition
And pain holds back no blow
Though this be my darkest hour
Your Lamb is leading my home
And you'll find me singing


You are unfailing God
Your love's unending
And Your Word is eternal
Firm in the Heavens it stands

Eyes can't see but they feel you near
I know you're working through my tears
I trust you Lord I trust for you never walk away


You are unfailing God
Your love's unending
And Your Word is eternal
Firm in the Heavens it stands

Until next time,
JR

No comments:

Post a Comment