Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Hope

Well hello again blogoworld! Much has happened since I've last been with you and I'm over-the-top excited about what's happened in my life. On August 19, my wife Abby gave birth to our 3rd child. John Henry Rose was born weighing 6lbs 14 oz! If you have kids then you know exactly what I've been going through. Praise the Lord!

Now that my little guy is over a week old and is more alert I've been able to spend a significant amount of time staring at him during the late night/early morning feeds and this time spent has proved to be very transformative for me. I look at my son and I see an infant that cannot feed himself, clothe himself, bathe himself, blow his nose, wipe his booty, call for help, scratch an itch or walk on two legs (yet). His entire existence is dependent on my wife and I. If we don't act, he won't survive. When we do act, he continues to grow. We are his hope.

I contrast that thought with my 2 year old son, Will. He can do many of the things mentioned above but not all...we still have to help him. Yet, with Will it's a two-way street...he must accept our help for us to help him. When he doesn't want our help, he begins screaming and is usually worse off doing the task himself. For him, my wife and I are still his hope.

A few nights ago while feeding John I couldn't help but think I'm not much different than John. There are many things in this world that I cannot do by myself. I cannot control the outcome of a big project at work, my wife's temper (i love you babe :)), my nephew's struggle with lung problems, my car breaking down, my own spiritual growth, or the behavior of my friends. Like my son Will, I have to allow the Holy Spirit to help me through whatever comes my way. Even though that pesky fleshly side of me wants to scream for control...I have to constantly recognize that He is my hope. Without Him...I will not grow.

Glen Packaim wrote a song called "My Hope". As I was listening to it recently I was amazed at how it spoke to me and my realtionship with Christ and how those words were so true for my son and his relationship with me. I am his hope, Christ is my hope.

I encourage you to check out this song on itunes or amazon..
Read and be blessed!

When my heart  is overwhelmed
Lead me to the rock that's higher
When my feet are sinking down
Lift me up to walk on water

I will be still and know
You are my father
My eyes will be fixed on you alone

I put my hope in you
There's nothing else to do
Through every valley I know you're by my side
For my life is in your hands

Though my bed is filled with tears
Still you here to remind me
There is more than what appears
Grace from heaven now abounding

I will be still and know
You are my father
My eyes will be fixed on you alone

I put my hope in you

There's nothing else to do
Through every valley I know you're by my side
For my life is in your hands

Your love will never fail
Your mercies are new each day
Through every circumstance my hope will stand
For my life is in your hand

No comments:

Post a Comment