Thursday, September 16, 2010

In-Network or Out-of-Network

Recently I came across an idea from Gateway Church in Austin, TX. At the time, Gateway had on their website a way of communicating their leadership development track that I've never seen before. They had/have? categorized their groups into 2 groups: in-network (those groups who have decided to come under the umbrella of the small group ministry and recieved the church's time, talent, and treasure) and out-of-network groups (those groups that for whatever reason have decided to lead a small group but not associate with the church)

I must admit I do believe there are people in our churches who have a problem with the accountability aspect of leadership...i.e. attending training, meeting with coaches, getting their literature approved etc. My main soapbox on covert groups goes like this: I believe Jesus was the greatest small group leader of all time and until we get to that level of leadership (when we reach glory) we can/should be learning something/challenging ourselves. If we believe we can function without that element....well then it's obvious we have some growth steps to take isn't it?

However we obviously cannot control people so after noodling with this a while I plan on experimenting with Gateway's idea to simply put a name on groups out there not connected to the "mothership". I kind of like the idea of extending an olive branch to those groups covertly meeting and building community.

I ran into a leader last night who confessed that she had been for about a year meeting with a group without telling anyone...I was taken aback by her sense of guilt by "coming clean". So it seems to me that extending an olive branch to them and giving them a name while making them aware the disadvantages of meeting out-of-network is a great way to further the cause of Group Life.

I know I know...this needs to fester a little in my spirit. Thought I would share anyway..

Until next time,
JR

No comments:

Post a Comment